Monday, May 31, 2010

My Favorite Building




Can it be my favorite building, if I've never even been inside?


Last week I had to work up in the Church History Library at the request of my boss. After battling my way through the SNOW (the horror) early Monday morning, I found myself admiring the beauty of the Church buildings. I was done around 3:30 and thought to myself "Why not walk around Temple Square? It's been forever."


I've always loved Temple Square. For as long as I can remember, I thought of it as the most beautiful and majestic of our wonderful temples. It looks like a castle, and the Disney princess infatuation inside of me wakes up and swoons whenever I see it, even at age 20. The grounds are beautiful as well, obviously. But the building itself is absolutely captivating.

I walked around for 40-45 minutes, completely alone. I listened to songs that enhanced my experience, as I sat on the bench on the east side of the temple and just looked up toward the golden angel. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed the spiritual beauty of something so sacred. I should do it more.

I love doing things like this. I love experiencing things on my own, and making the decision to take advantage of small opportunities. While sitting on the bench, a sweet little old lady came up to talk to me. She said she'd be happy to accompany me if I was lonely. For me, there's no such thing. I'm not lonely. I'm just alone. And that's the way I like it. Especially when surrounded by such quiet splendor.

2 comments:

  1. There's always comfort in knowing you find company in our own "alone-ness". Sometimes we can be just as lonely in a crowded room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would choose to be alone rather than with people probably 8 times out of 10.

    ReplyDelete