Wednesday, April 18, 2012

BYU's Best/Worst Classes

I've been reflecting on my BYU career and the classes I've taken. Some were more helpful than others. Some were absolutely useless (I'm looking at you, Calculus) and some I still use every day. For my BYU and prospective BYU friends, I thought I'd do a review of some of the best/worst classes I took. As always you should check out Rate My Professor before signing up for any class.

What I wished I would have taken:

  • More religion classes. They are the best.
  • A raquetball or other fun sports/fitness class.
  • More specialized history classes like The American South or World War II.
  • School of Family Life (not religion) classes on marriage and kids and stuff. I learn it secondhand from Eliesa.
  • Gone to more Devotionals. I always really enjoyed it when I went or watched Devotional, but usually used it as homework time.
So here they are, my most memorable classes - best to worst:

Intro to Social Psychology (PSYCH 350) - Amazing! The best class ever. We talked about cognitive dissonance, conditioning, social norms, and my favorite assignment was to break a social norm and write about it. I invaded people's personal space. It was awkward and hilarious. I loved reading the textbook and class time flew by even though it was like 2 hours each time. Take this class if you can.

Classroom Management with Burr (SC ED 379) - The most useful class of all time, and only 1 credit hour! I wish it had been 3 or 4 credit hours. I use it every day and I learned so much from Sister Burr. She's awesome. You'd only take this if you were an Education major obviously, but if you are make sure you take it from Burr if she still teaches now that she's a principal.


Book of Mormon (REL A 121+122) with Merrill - The Best! He ended up being my favorite religion teacher and I took Book of Mormon pt. 2 and New Testament pt. 1 (REL A 211) with him. He's very frank and really helps apply scripture to your life. But, as any BYU student will tell you, you can't go into BOM thinking it will be easy because you've read it 50 times already. Take it seriously.

Econ 110 - Loved it! Most people hate it. I didn't take it from the famous Kearl guy though, so that may be part of it. It was really hard, but so interesting to me. If you dedicate yourself, it's actually rewarding.

Mission Prep with Goodman (REL C 130) - Awesome! I took it because all my friends were in Mission Prep classes because they were actually going on missions and I felt left out. Turns out I loved this class. I learned teaching basics and more importantly, how to teach with the Spirit. I also had to wear a fake engagement ring to avoid a weirdy. But that's a story for another time.

World Religions with Choi (REL C 351) - Incredible! Sort of. Choi is this little Korean dude who is super hard to understand at first (Sa, right?) but knows his shiz. The only trouble is that he tells you super cool stories all class period and then the test is all out of the book. Out of class intensive study is necessary. But it's amazing and testimony building.

Political Geography (GEOG 341) - So good! I'm a geography nerd. But we talked about Israel/Palestine, Kurds, Quebecois and tons of other interesting, relevant stuff. Again, he'd get off on a tangent of personal experience and you had to study a lot. He has a really cool interactive project, but I worked with two less-than-bright BYU football players so I did all the work. Worth it, though.

Comparative Government & Politics (PLSC 150) - Hard but super interesting. I still remember and apply the stuff we learned as I teach and when I read current events. I can't remember the professors name but he reminded me of Steven Colbert so I really liked it. Try to get in a cool TA group, because mean ones screw you over.

D&C (REL C 324) - hated it. Never went. Got like a B-. Don't take religion classes at 9 am. Just don't.

Political Inquiry (PLSC 200) - Shoot me in the face. Hated it. So bad. Also I'm pretty sure I was the only freshman. Because I already had so many UVU credits, I didn't need to take generals, but I got last pick of real big kid classes because I was on paper a freshman. I hated this class. I have no background in stats. Shoot me in the face.

Calculus (MATH 112) - enough said.

[Note that I somehow got out of American Heritage even though it's sort of right along with my major... lolz]

What about y'all? Favorite/least favorite classes? Classes you wish you would have taken?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED Classroom Management with Burr! She is such an inspiration! Also...I took Book of Mormon (both ones) with Merrill as well! He was so great!

    I am also done with college classes...do you mind if I stole this idea from you for my blog, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not! Teachers steal from one another. That's just what we do and we love it. :)

      Delete