Saturday, January 28, 2012

Leading My Students Astray

It's important to me that I am a good example to my students. Sure, I can be mean and sarcastic on my blog (for you guys!) but in real life I try really hard to be a model of good behavior for these kids. I fear that this week I may have failed.

A few girls hung back after class to talk to me. Two of them are my buddies. One girl was just kind of hanging out, putting things away and chatting with us.

"Hey, Mrs. Holdaway? What are your favorite chick flicks? We're having a marathon this weekend!"

"Oh, man. I don't know. I don't LOVE chick flicks... but I'd have to say... Princess Bride. Probably #1 of all time. I like My Best Friend's Wedding. My sister likes How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, so I've seen that one a bunch..."

"Oh yeah we love those!!!"

"What else... I really like 10 Things I Hate About You..."

"What?!!! That movie is so bad!" - random 3rd girl.

I halted immediately and all our eyes flew to her.

"Yeah! I started watching that once and turned it off in like, less than half an hour! It was so bad!" she firmly stated.

I pressed my brain, wondering what terrible things I had overlooked. All I could think of was their dad preventing pre-marital sex with the pregnancy suit. Which I guess is a little scandalous.

"Oh.... well... It was the 90s...." - lamest excuse ever from me.

The other girls looked at her out of the corners of their eyes as they packed up their stuff and thanked me for my suggestions. They all left, leaving me standing alone in my room.

So many of these kids quote R-rated movies, play super violent games and have these dirty little minds. I guess I had forgotten that there are still tender little souls here. Few and far between. But bless their little hearts.

Seriously, though. 10 Things I Hate About You? What are we coming to?


1 comment:

  1. Love that movie. But, my friend's mom got it for her birthday party in fifth grade and we were pretty scandalized. Lots of penis talk. But ninth grade? Geez.

    ReplyDelete